Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pre Race Report for my Support Crew


Race Site: 
Brazos Bend State Park  @ 21910 FM 762 Rd. Needville 77461  (90 min drive from TW’s)

Race Start: 
6 a.m. for the 100 miler
7 a.m. for the 50 miler (same course)
7:45 a.m. for the marathon (same course). Estimating to catch the end of the pack by 40 miles
8:30 a.m. for the half marathon (different course and should not be able to catch anyone)

Park Fee is $7 per vehicle
Park Opens at 3 a.m.
After 6 a.m. there is overflow parking at 40 acre lake (3.5 miles from start/finish)
There is also more overflow parking at Hale Lake (1.5 miles from start/finish)
**Only one shuttle per parking lot so plan accordingly with time to get from the parking lot to the start/transition area.

Pacer/Crew Rules:
One pacer at a time per 25 mile loop (after 50 miles). 
-Jason Johnston third loop
-Kyle Rodemacher fourth loop
Pacer cannot mule water, supplies, and pack for me. 
*I’ll have bags ready to go with nutrition that I can easily get after each loop
*I’ll have a plastic box with a bunch of supplies for anything that comes up and I may need (medical, extra nutrition, head lamp, hand towels, extra socks, roller, etc.)
Crew members are allowed at the following aid stations; Elm Lake, 40 acre, Hale Lake, and Brazos (see map included).  The first three are accessible via biking.
*If you come then you are considered my support crew.  Feel free to enter an aid station and help me if needed.

My schedule morning of
Wake up 4:10 a.m.
Leave hotel 4:30 a.m.
Arrive at race site 5 a.m.
Warm-up 5:30

Estimated pace/Completed loop times:
1-25 miles: 7:40-8:00/mile (1 min rest/stretch every 4 miles/30 min) Complete 1st loop:  9:20 a.m.
25-50 miles: 7:40-8:00/mile (same with rest/stretch) Complete 2nd loop: 12:40-1 p.m.
50-75 miles: 8:00-8:20/mile (rest/stretch as much as needed) Complete 3rd loop: 4:10-4:30 p.m.
75-100 miles: 8:20-8:40/mile (do whatever it takes to move forward) Finish at 7:50-8:10 p.m.
**I plan to keep moving through the aid stations unless I need to stop for aid/stretch/roll, etc. I’ll hang around for a minute between each loop but don’t want to stay too long unless needed to take care of something.

Goals:
*Sub 15 hours - This is my ultimate goal and I think it’s doable as long as I don’t have any major issues and adapt to whatever problems/challenges may arise.
*Place top five - I really want to win but I will run my own race.  Sub 15 hr. will give me a great shot.
*Save body for Rocky 100 miler - If I’m having the perfect day and I’m up front with a good lead remind me to save my legs for Rocky 100.  If the day is not going my way then I may consider saving my body for another race like Rocky.   I’m not prepared to be on the course after mid night (16 hours) and if I am something bad is probably going on.  I may change my mind while I’m out there, and my goal should be to finish but I want to come away from this injury free so I can get back training sooner than later.

Nutrition/Hydration plan:
1 PowerGel every 30 minutes
2 Electrolytes every hour,
16oz Gatorade every hour
16oz Water every hour or as needed if more
16oz Coconut water start of each loop
**I’ll have three bags of Gel/electrolyte pills at the main aid station with enough nutrition to get me through 25 miles.
** I will need somebody (one of you) from my Crew to have one nutrition bag, one bottle of coconut water, and a new hand held bottle with ice water, all ready to exchange with me as I come through.

I cannot handle much solid food at all up to 40 miles.  Don’t know after 50 or 75 miles and a slower pace.  I am able to eat bananas, oranges, warm biscuits (not bread), plain salted chips (not greasy), probably soup if needed/available.

Weather Forecast:
Low 55
High 70 (73% humidity)

Live Results:
Live results and splits will be available via Ultrasignup and you can follow me at the link below

Stefanie will be there most of the day.  Kids are coming with our parents later on so she may be busy entertaining them for a while.  She will most likely send everyone a group text for the first and second loops so you will know how I’m doing and pace.  Her number in case you need to contact her is 281-770-0892. 

Course Preview Link

No comments:

Post a Comment